All of us, including those children, youth, and college students who are just wanting to chill this summer, should use this as a time to renew our commitment to the Lord and not reduce our commitment to the things of God. Here are some practical ways to have a spiritually rich summer.
- Remember the verse of the week. Parents should encourage their children to remember the verse as well. Provide incentives for remembering the verse.
- Get your children involved in the things of God. Go with the Sunshine Committee the second Tuesday of each month to visit the sick. Bring your children to the children’s and youth ministry events, vacation Bible school and other events.
- Engage in at least one community service project this summer.
- Plan to attend worship wherever you are on Sundays. If you are looking for a congregation of the Lord’s church in an area, ask your shepherd to make a recommendation.
- Leave your offering to God prior to going on vacation or give via PayPal. The best way to make sure you don’t spend the Lord’s money while you are away is to give it.
- Read God’s word daily. If you don’t know where to start, try reading the chapter in Proverbs that corresponds with the day of the month. If today is June 6, read Proverbs 6.
- Designate a time every day to pray. Try praying as a couple or as a family. Get a prayer partner and pray together.