When we moved our family of four from Mississippi to Arlington, TX in the summer of 2018 we were on a mission. The most important goal for our family was to find a long term home within a local congregation of the church. Well, it was glaringly obvious to us, that this was going to be a daunting process, because unlike the 6 congregations in Tupelo, MS, there are nearly 100 congregations of the church in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex!
As a couple, we consider it a blessing to have come to know Christ during our childhoods with the support of our local congregations. And we believe it’s equally important for our children to be able to do the same within a local congregation. But where do you begin, in a Metroplex of 7 million people?
You begin with God! And so, our first course of action was praying for God’s Spirit of discernment in this decision. As we decided where to visit, we felt led to pose several big picture questions that we like to call, “the touch”:
- Which churches do other Christians recommend?
- Does the church have active elders and deacons?
- Is there an education ministry that can help build the foundation of our children’s faith?
- Are there a variety of families and age groups contributing to the church?
- Is the church a place where we can use our gifts to serve others?
- What is the closest church near our home?
- Where do our friends in the area go to church?
- Is the church welcoming and inviting?
- Is the church holding on to spiritual principles in the world of God?
- Is the church progressive enough to consider the changing times?
- Is the church actively serving in ministries to those who are lost and those who are in need?